A big huge list of inspiring blog topics picked to attract your audience and keep the search engines happy
Pushing out blogs without any thought because you know it’s what you’re “supposed to do” isn’t a good use of your time. To be an effective part of your content marketing plan, blogs should interest your audience and generate traffic.
Finding these photography blog ideas takes time. It involves listening to what your audience is typing into search and understanding which words and phrases you can rank for, so Google includes your articles in its search results.
If you keep hitting a wall when it comes to finding photography blog ideas, I’m here to help. As a part-time professional fitness photographer and an SEO strategist I’ve pulled together a stack of blog topics you can write about.
The ideas on this list are included because they should attract more traffic to your site and engage your audience so they get to know, like, and trust you even more.
How this list works
There are lots of different photography styles and so the type of photography you specialize in will influence the photography blog topics you’ll write about.
With that in mind, I’ve divided this list into different photography disciplines with the exception of the first section.
Section one includes general content ideas that will suit any photographer from any background.
Beyond that, find the section of the list that relates to your style and dig into the photography blog ideas. Or get nosey and look at the other photographer types for more inspiration. With a little creativity you can easily change the angle so the topic suits you.
Jump to a Section
Broad blog topics for all photographers
- Answering FAQs
You may already have an FAQ page on your site or briefly answer commonly asked questions on service pages or emails. Use your blog to give deeper, more thorough answers to these questions which helps reduce friction to purchase.
- Favorite local tourist spots and events
If you market your photographer services based on your location then blogging about nearby tourist spots and local events helps with local organic search building. Doing this can even earn you some backlinks.
- Favorite gear
People are nosey. It’s why behind the scenes content does so well. Rather than simply revealing what’s in your photography kit bag, take it a step further. Share why it’s your favorite gear. Explaining how your kit gets the results clients can see in your work shows them that you know what you’re talking about.
- Favorite editing tools and software
Once you’ve taken the photos, how do you make them look slick? As with the idea in number three, share a little insight into your editing process and mention the tools or software you use. Again, rather than listing them out, get specific when discussing how these tools add to the quality of your photos.
- Your workspace, indoor or out
Give a virtual tour of your workspace or, as you’re a photographer, build up a gallery of your work locations. This is a great way to share more about yourself and is a piece of content that links nicely to or from your about page.
- Round ups of your fave shoots
Regularly posting shoots is a good idea, but it can become repetitive if you’re a really busy photographer who’s out on shoots daily or weekly. Round up blog posts expand your portfolio in one big hit and removes the pain of having to say “This was a great shoot!” for the hundredth time. Plan them monthly, quarterly, or once a year. For you, the joy will be getting to look back over past projects and remind yourself of the great work you’ve done between each round up.
- Favorite secret locations
Every photographer has a favorite place to shoot. Maybe it’s a secret place you don’t like sharing too often, which makes it all the more brilliant to write about. Blogging about your most-loved secret locations shows that you take the time to find unique, out of the way places. To a client, it shows you’re willing to go the extra mile for them. Is the thought of revealing your secret favorite locations giving you heart palpitations? OK, the compromise is giving it a nickname and speaking generally about the area.
- Benefits of professional prints
Customers have a huge number of printing options available to them. Unless they come from a photography background they may not understand why some printing outlets are better than others. Or why as, professional photographers, we recommend getting them printed by a pro rather than heading to their nearest Walgreens. Help your customers understand with a blog about digital, professional printing versus low-cost, lower quality options.
Blog ideas for wedding photographers
- When to send invitations and images to use
- Timeline to wedding and when to book vendors (like photographers)
- Finding the perfect print size for albums and wall displays
- What to do if your wedding shoot is interrupted by bad weather
- Must have wedding photos
Blog ideas for portrait photographers
- Favorite props you have or ask clients to bring
- Dressing for the weather for outdoor shoots
- Clothing color tips and changes of outfit
- Hair and make-up tips
- How a client should prepare for their shoot
Blog ideas for landscape photographers
- Print sizing and making the most of landscape photos when hanging
- The best products to hang and display landscape shots (ie, frames, canvases)
- Arrangement and layout ideas for photo wall arrangements
- How to pick a frame – width, depth, color
- What to print it on – regular, metallic, canvas
Blog ideas for family portrait photographers
- Clothing color tips and coordinating outfits for the best shot
- Poses and positioning ideas
- How to prepare (yourself and young children) for portrait photos
- Getting the right size prints for different display styles
- Photo wall arrangement ideas
Blog ideas for newborn and baby photographers
- Favorite props you use or ask parents to bring
- The ideal age for newborn and baby photos
- The difference between newborn, fresh 48, and lifestyle sessions offered
- How to include siblings
- Tips for preparing your newborn or baby for a photoshoot
Blog ideas for maternity photographers
- Favorite props you use or ask mums-to-be and couples to bring
- Clothing tips and outfit change advice
- The best trimester to come for a maternity shoot
- Hair and make-up tips
- Preparing for your session and pregnant-friendly poses you can try
Blog ideas for nature and outdoor photographers
- Print sizing for full wall and smaller displays
- Tips and ideas on how to best display outdoor and nature photos
- Your ‘secret’ to getting amazing wildlife photos and photographing animals
- How to choose the perfect frame – width, depth, color
- What to print nature and outdoor images on – regular, metallic, canvas, etc
Blog ideas for sport photographers
- The benefits of professional photos for marketing
- The pros and cons of offering free versus paid photos to event participants
- Photo and memorabilia gift ideas
- The different types of sports photography
- A column debate piece on the case against stock photos
Blog ideas for health and fitness photographers
- Favorite health and fitness props you supply or ask clients to bring
- Sports and activewear clothing tips
- Hair and make-up tips (or how to get the sweat-effect)
- How clients should prepare for their photo session
- The secrets for making sure muscles show up in photos
Blog ideas for headshot and professional event photographers
- Trade show photography tips, like this one for inspiration
- The importance of keeping your headshot up to date
- What to wear and clothing or colors to avoid
- Hair and make-up tips
- Backdrop and location ideas
Blog ideas for commercial, product, and branding photographers
- The benefits of having professional photos for marketing purposes
- What is agile imagery and how it saves you money
- The do’s and don’ts of how to present your product or service
- Case studies explaining how your photographs have helped a business
- How product or service photos increase organic traffic
Blog ideas for food and drink photographers
- The secrets of photographing food so it looks delicious
- The importance of white space and examples of how it’s used for advertising copy or logos
- The benefits to hiring food photographer versus Insta photos on your phone
- Reviews of lesser known restaurants
- Your favorite food magazines and why you love their food and drink photography
Blog ideas for live event and concert photographers
- Why hire a professional photographer
- The longevity of event photos for marketing materials
- The pros and cons of onsite printing
- How much does an event or concert photographer cost?
- Mobile phone outtakes – bad event and concert photos you take and never look at again
Blog ideas for editorial photographers
- What preparation and ground work you do before shooting day
- The tricks to capturing and telling a story in one image
- Editorial photography trends you’ve noticed
Blog ideas for real estate photographers
- Home staging tips so the property looks its best
- The pros and cons of photographing property at different times of day
- The benefits of a virtual tour
- [City] zillow certified photographer – what this means and why it’s important to clients
- Anything around local news stories, activities, or events
Blog ideas for high school senior photographers
- How clients should prepare for their session
- Formal wear clothing tips and how it may show up on film
- Hair and make-up tips
- Taking group photos – the pros and cons of being photographed with friends or family
- Alternative presentation and gift ideas for sharing photos with family, such as printing on a phone case, sustainable mug, or keyrings
Blog ideas for boudoir photographers
- Private and closed-set location ideas
- Clothing and lingerie inspiration
- What hair and makeup styles best suit boudoir and pin up shoots
- How to prepare for your session and what to expect on the day
- Why boudoir shoots are for all genders
Get even more photography blog ideas
The 91 suggestions in this list are just the tip of the iceberg.
There are hundreds of inspiring keywords out there can be the basis of your blogs.
Ready to increase your organic search traffic so more of those people land on your site? Then it’s time to learn the basics of keyword research by downloading this free step-by-step guide.